Had a great shoot last weekend, messing around in old city with Stephanie. We had such a good time, we wound up shooting for > 4 hours without even noticing! We also got a ton of rubberneckers as we invaded the streets of old city – a group of touristst ran up to try and snap shots of Stephanie too while we posed in front of the first Bank of the US.
Anyway, came back with some nice shots and we’ll be heading out again for tomorrow’s Strobist meetup!
Another street shot with the G9 – the light was just perfect – I took virtually the same picture the next day at the same time, and it was totally flat and “blah”.
I was actually somewhat dissapointed with my work from the St. John trip, but I did get a few decent images. (not counting the photoshoots with Vicky and Sasha, some great stuff from those!)
click the pics for larger views on flickr.
“2 Pelicans” – Maho Bay, St John
“The Silver Lining” – taken from the balcony of our villa.
“Driftwood” – Cinnamon Bay, St. John
“City Hall, Deconstructed”
a different view of Philly’s city hall – reflected in the PNC building. (click the thumbnail for larger)
Click the images for larger versions on Flickr.
CLICK FOR LARGER IMAGE ON FLICKR
This is a new post-process technique I am playing with in lightroom – setting both fill-light and recovery to 100, then adding “blacks” and contrast to tweak. Gives this kind of surreal pseudo-HDR look. Kind of an interesting experiment. Works for both color and B/W
Click for larger image on Flickr
I walk by this every day, and I always think it’s amusing to see a fire hydrant “growing” up out of the ground next to a tree…
“A hydrant grows in Philly”
Second piece in this mixed media photography/encaustic series.
This is a first of a series of encaustic/photography hybrid mixed media pieces.
I wanted to illustrate the theme of urban decay and sprawl encroaching on natural spaces and landscapes.
the piece is 16″x20″ – photo (printed on arches watercolor paper) and encaustic on panel. I used watercolor paper to print the photo for it’s absorbent nature, to allow the wax to adhere (and not flake off later). The photo was attached to the primed board (primed with Golden’s Absorbent Ground) with a thinned acrylic medium instead of glue. When dry, the encaustic was painted over the top, fusing in layers as normal.
Another lighting experiment… I liked the drips and spatters on my encaustic paint pallette (actually an electric griddle). This shot was lit with a vivitar 285 @ 1/4 through a white brolly, coming from the left, very close to the subject. Silver reflector on the opposite side for fill.
Click for larger size on Flickr:
Playing with just a single strobe. Shot was taken with a vivitar 285 fired through a white brolly, from upper left. A large reflector to the right and slighly forward provided fill. I liked the juxtaposition of the “black and white” of the image contrasted with the color of the beans.
Click for larger version on Flickr: